Re: Soft parse or Hard parse

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 13:54:07 +0100

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 12:39:30 GMT, "charlie cs" <cs3526(no-spam)@yahoo.com> wrote:

>John Weeg in his artical "are we parsing too much" provided a sql to
>identified the sql statements that went through too much parse.
>
>It is something like:
>
>select parse_calls, executions, sql_text from v$sqlarea
>where parse_calls >= executions
>
>I found that in my database, there are quite some sql statement like that
>
>parse_call executions sql_text
>19900 19900 select * from A where col1=:x
>
>Because they are from v$sqlarea, so they are all soft parses, and I should
>not pay too much attention to it, am I right?
>
>And they already use bind values, there is not too much I can do about it,
>am I right?
>
>Thanks for your help.

except for keeping the cursor open and re-evaluating it, but this depends on your programming environment. Your parse to execute ratio is 1:1, so this means the cursor for this statement is always closed and released, otherwise the ratio would have been different.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Mar 15 2003 - 06:54:07 CST