Re: How to reorg tables ?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:05:03 -0800

CS wrote:

> Sorry that I didn't make a clear picture of this question.
>
> I know to tackle the performance issue, it covers lots of works to do, and
> not only works to do only when performance issue arise, it should have to be
> doing since the beginning to keep some sort of statistics to better prevent
> the performance issue.
>
> The question posted was mainly because I want to learn from experts on how
> their experience to handle this and I have asked around too about this
> question in other place, but I found this newsgroup is the most suitable as
> most of you guys are willing to share.
>
> I will try to find something to answer my question and give it an update, so
> please watch this thread !
>
> thank you,
> CS
>
> "Ana C. Dent" <anacedent_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "CS" <wchuacs_at_pc.jaring.my> wrote in news:b4t207$p9d$1_at_news5.jaring.my:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Anyone knows what are the considerations and steps to do the table
> > > reogranizations ?
> > >
> > > and will it about the similar case to do the database reorg ?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance !
> > > CS
> > >

> > What problem are you really trying to solve
> > and which metrics will be used to measure the
> > success or failure of your actions?

If your question is purely academic as it appears to be then I would consider a reorg one of the last things I would consider when faced with a performance issue. Assuming, that is, that I gave more thought to planning out the original organization than throwing everything into a single datafile on an unstripped disk.

When dealing with performance issues always start with the low-hanging fruit. That means DBMS_PROFILER and EXPLAIN PLAN everything going on as well as look at wait stats.

Only if I had a clear indication that the problem was related to I/O and that the I/O problem could be solved by a reorg would I undertake one. And I'd do so only after determining, on paper, that moving things around would solve the problem.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Mar 14 2003 - 19:05:03 CST