Re: Database Performance Metrics - What to use?

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 14 Mar 2003 05:22:29 -0800

wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au (Nuno Souto) wrote in message news:<73e20c6c.0303131909.611218bd_at_posting.google.com>...
> buckeye234 <member13594_at_dbforums.com> wrote in message news:<2641160.1047585596_at_dbforums.com>...
> Do not underestimate uptime. It can be VERY impressive!

I do not think that uptime is something which can impress management too much. Ok, machine runs for six months without single restart, but who gave a f*ck?
Impressing can be availability, but in some cases availability can be very dangerous to people around systems. Still I think that if management wants some numbers, colours, and charts, he will be forced to provide availability numbers, because after all this is the most important piece of chart in IT.

> For things like Oracle Applications, the number of concurrent
> jobs finished per unit of time.

For things like OAs is a good metric patches applied per hour (PPH). It can show how hard can be world of IT professional. :-)

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.