Re: ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 07:31:37 +0000

Anas wrote:

> We are getting ORA-03113 error when trying to execute queries like
<snipped>

AFAIK, this error basically means that the connection to your dblink has been unexpectedly broken (the FIN bit being set in the TCP packet causing the protocol stack to close the connection).

Why this happens, is another story all together. I've seen this myself due to buggy operating systems and network drivers.

I suggest that you check your dblink definition (see USER_DB_LINKS). Make sure that the TNS alias it refers to, is valid. Be careful that you do not make a db loopback link to the _same_ database accidentally, seeing that the two databases are on the same platform and the one is a clone of the other.

Test the dblink in isolation and not as part of big nested select query. Be careful with synonyms - make sure that they indeed point to the right objects and that there are no errors that can occur when it is resolved in the current scope. (I've seen a synonym referering to another synonym that refers back to the original synonym, because the orginal object ceased to exist - be careful that this type of thing is not happening across the dblink).

--
Billy