new RS/6000: from 8*250MHz to 2*750MHz - what to expect

From: Erik Ykema <Erik.SIHTEVOMER.Ykema_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 01:45:34 +0100

Esteemed Oracle practicioners,
I would appreciate your thoughts on our RS/6000-change. Our operations manager has decided that our current RS/6000 (8 cpus at 250 MHz) machine should be replaced by a new one having just two 750 MHz processors. The cause is Oracle's license structure: per CPU. On this machine we have one instance for our datawarehouse (Oracle 8.0.6 - we have not planned to upgrade yet, AIX4): nightly batches in Pro*C and SQL*Plus-scripts; during daytime it works for our OLTP users in maximum of 7 concurrent running reports.
Lot of batch SQL has been tuned by trial and error (choosing the degree on the tables; parallel hints) in order to have the batches fit in the tight night processing window. Of course we will have to test everything in pre-production phase. Additional tuning will end on my plate... and I try to achieve some kind of work load planning for the coming half. From sar I have learned that, as usual, the disks are the main unix wait-events and that hardly ever, in batch or in OLTP, 100% CPU utilization is reached. During batch this is also due to wait-constraints in the batch job chain.
What should I be aware of regarding performance? And any other pleasant or unpleasant suprises? (I have roamed the c.d.o.* newsgroups but could not find much insight.)
Thanks,
Erik Ykema
Oracle Analyst/Programmer Received on Thu Mar 13 2003 - 18:45:34 CST