Re: listener - lsnrctl reload drops dynamic service handlers

From: Peter <no_email_at_no_email.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:29:28 +1000

Hey, thanks heaps for the information, I didn't know about "alter system register" yet so looked it up and found the answer to the timing of the pmon registration which is 1 minute (previously I had found this out from metalink article 69546.1)

REGISTER Clause
Specify REGISTER to instruct the PMON background process to register the instance with the listeners immediately. If you do not specify this clause, then registration of the instance does not occur until the next time PMON executes the discovery routine. As a result, clients may not be able to access the services for as long as 60 seconds after the listener is started.

In terms of static registration, I do have this set and so the website is always available, however, for intermedia/text searching, I have to use dynamic registration (until I can get it working with static registration) as I can't get 8.1.6 external procedure calls to work with static connections. This has something to do with running a 9i listener (I think) which is possibly calling the 9i extproc binary instead of the 8.1.6 one so I get the following errors:

SQL> exec ctx_output.start_log('log');
BEGIN ctx_output.start_log('log'); END;

*
ERROR at line 1:

ORA-20000: interMedia Text error:
ORA-28576: lost RPC connection to external procedure agent
ORA-06512: at "CTXSYS.DRUE", line 126
ORA-06512: at "CTXSYS.CTX_OUTPUT", line 39
ORA-06512: at line 1

I'm still looking into this.

Anyway, thanks for the helpful information.