Re: database cloning

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no.spam.yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 22:30:56 GMT

Jake wrote:
> I am trying to clone our production database to the was it was two
> weeks ago on a different machine using full backup copy from tape.
> These are the steps I have taken:
>
> 1- Made a backup copy of the control file from the production system,
> edited the file and renamed it with a .sql extension and moved it to
> the target machine.
> 2- Copied all the datafiles, redologs,control file, and archived logs
> that required from tape to the appropraited destination on the target
> machine.
> 3- copied the init.ora file from the production to the target machine.
>
> Now this is where it gets funcky:
>
> Started server manager then issued
> connect internal
> startup no mount
> @ctrl.sql - to create control file
>
> So far no problem.
>
> I need to do media recovery, so I issued
>
> recover database using backup controlfile until cancel
>
> It start recovery using the archived logs and when it gets to the end
> of the list, it asks for more! It asks for the next one in the
> sequence. This is the point where I want to stop. So what command do I
> issue?
>
> When I apply "recover database cancel", it complains
>
> When I apply alter database open resetlogs; it complains.
>
> What is the best way to restore this database, the way it was two
> weeks ago?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jake

Was the "full" backup from tape a cold or offline backup? If thats the case and you want it restored to that point in time then you only need to restore the controlfiles from the backup, that is if your directory structure is the same as the machine the backup was taken from.

If the directory structure is different, then yes you re create the controlfile with the proper locations. If you so a recover until cancel, once you apply the redo to the point that you want, then type "cancel" when it prompts for the next log, then open the database using resetlogs.

I'm a bit confused, if you only want it restored to the point it was at   when the backup took place and it was a full or cold backup, then there should be no media recovery needed.

hth Received on Thu Mar 13 2003 - 16:30:56 CST