Re: sqlldr and discarded records

From: FC <flavio_at_tin.it>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 21:30:16 GMT

"Christoph Seidel" <christoph.seidel1_at_gmx.de> wrote in message news:b4qf62$231hvv$1_at_ID-143718.news.dfncis.de...

> but nevertheless, your advice does not handle the case where the input
file
> was not process completely (maybe the loader dies for some reason):
>
> rejected records are in the bad file, fine, i can fix it and do the import
> with this file as input file
>
> not processed records AND imported records are still in input file, do i
> have to split now the imput file into imported and non-imported?

If the loader dies unexpectedly, there should be a mechanism in place such that it detects the anomaly of the situation. If you are loading data into staging tables, the load failure could trigger an action deleting the partially loaded data or taking some other "clever" action.
There are several different methods of loading data, if there are any complex business rules and/or sensible data involved, I normally load everything in staging tables, minimising the data filtering at the sql loader level and deferring it to some more manageable level, like stored procedures that can return much more significant error messages than sql loader can.

Bye,
Flavio Received on Thu Mar 13 2003 - 15:30:16 CST