Re: VMS - duplicating database

From: Warren Spencer <wspencer_at_ap.nospam.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 18:49:10 -0000

timasmith_at_hotmail.com (Tim Smith) wrote in <a7234bb1.0303120930.40a5523e_at_posting.google.com>:

>Hi,
> I have a large 200GB database that I need to duplicate to another
>node. Does anyone have a procedure for this. I have a bunch of disks
>that I can backup the entire database to and I believe I can mount
>those on the second node (VMS guys do I need to reboot that node?).
> What do I have to do, apart from init.ora to 'point' the database
>to the new name?
>
>thanks
>
>Tim

Assuming the init.ora implies an Oracle 7+ database, you've got a few options, depending on your needs...

  1. Do you actually want another copy of the data files on a separate machine (for backup purposes perhaps) ? If not, you can mount the first machine's data disks on the second machine (assuming a cluster), and run a second instance of Oracle that points to exactly the same data files. This configuration has been known as Oracle Parallel Server. Oracle on both nodes requires a little configuration work for this. See the docs for Parallel Server.
  2. If you need to actually copy the data files:
    • Install Oracle on the receiving node
    • Shut down Oracle on the source node (required before copying files)
    • Copy the files across (tape, network, whatever)
    • Configure the receiving server to recognize the database files You'll need to refer to the docs for this - I believe you have to bring the database up unmounted to issue the commands needed to point Oracle at the new locations for the data files. See "Moving data files".

ws

--

Warren Spencer
Senior Software Engineer (not a writer)

** What's brown and sticky?    A stick.  **