Re: Shared pool and library cache latch contention

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 17:50:13 +0100

Amir Hameed wrote:
> Anurag,
> Thank you for your reply. We are pinning packages at instance startup.
> Precise is a performance tuning tool that we acquired last year. It
> samples data 2 times a second and then report on the health of the
> instance at any point in time. It is primarily used by our development
> team to identify expensive queries, etc.
>
> regards
> Amir

Two times a second and no bind variables used? No wonder your shared pool goes down the drain.

In my book, you're way overmonitoring: Your development team won't be able to create that much code. And if this is production, you'll be flushing out the relevant stuff too...

I'd suggest that you turn down your interval to something like every 5 minutes. Before you do that take a statspack.snap for 15 minutes of activity, change the Precise interval to every 5 Minutes (this is possible, I hope?) and take another statspack.snap for about 15 minutes of activity.

I bet your hard parses will go down noticeable and take the latch contention with them.

My 2ct

Holger Received on Thu Mar 13 2003 - 10:50:13 CST