Re: What am I seeing here? (Installment MCLXII)

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 08:32:24 -0600

Ahh, now we're getting somewhere. I knew that the first group was specifically the main processes like DBWR, LGWR, PMON, etc. But these others made no sense, even (especially) to simply say they are "oracle itself.. So, do these IO slaves and PQ slaves stay up once they're started? What causes them to be started and what terminates them? Can you point me to the place in the docs where I can read up on this?

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:48:49 GMT, John Kachurick <jokach_at_epix.net> wrote:

>They are oracle background processes. The I#### processes are
>DBWR_IO_SLAVES (check your init.ora) and P#### are your parallel query
>slaves (set by PARALLEL_MIN_SERVERS in init.ora). I had the same
>confusion once about what those processes were.
>
>Watson Davis wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:32:35 -0600, Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Platform - Oracle 8.0.6 SE on NT4
>>>
>>>When I perform this Query:
>>>
>>>select spid,
>>> to_char(logon_time,'dd-mon-yy hh24:mi:ss') Started,
>>> s.status,
>>> s.osuser,
>>> p.username,