Re: Eliminating index files

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:37:24 +1000

"Rick Denoire" <100.17706_at_germanynet.de> wrote in message news:d3av6vk7f79141j2nourqiv4m86o4gi4gl_at_4ax.com...
> I need to reorganize a Raid group. One LUN contains index files only,
> and instead of saving them, I would rather just remove them,
> reconfigure the LUN adding more harddisks, and then recreate the
> indexes. Saving and restoring through the network takes several hours.
>
> I wonder if the database would still start without the files belonging
> to the index tablespace. Of course, one could just drop the
> tablespace, but then I assume that it would not be possible to just
> rebuild the indexes any more. So how could I free index space without
> losing their definitions?

Hi Rick,

Yes, you can most certainly start/keep open a database with the index tablespace offline.

Problem though with losing the index *data* is that you can't simply *rebuild* the indexes because you need the original index to rebuild from.

If I understand what you want to do correctly, an option would be to export the necessary object with indexes a yep but rows a nup so that you "save" the index definitions. Then you can recreate the indexes as required.

Note that if some of these indexes are required to police constraints, you could have a few nasty little issues if Oracle can't access these indexes when required.

Good Luck

Richard Received on Thu Mar 13 2003 - 07:37:24 CST