Backup - hot or not?

From: Preston Kemp <dontwantany_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 12:22:34 -0000

Hi folks, I'm going to install 8i & setup a new database for a client next week, but I'm struggling to decide what to do about backups. It only needs to be available during normal office hours.

They've been using a V7 database for a few years, & just take it down every night & do a dump. They're happy enough to lose a day's data - weird but that's the way it is!

My question is what's the benefit, if any, of switching them to hot backups? I presume the downside is the overhead of switching on archive log mode.

The system specs are PIII 500 Poweredge, 512MB RAM, 7 disks, max. 30 concurrent users, schema dump is around 1.7Gb. Any opinions gratefully received, either on backup strategy or setup in general (I.e. how to split the files, RAID etc). Beer tokens for the best reply ;-)

--
Preston.