Re: listener - lsnrctl reload drops dynamic service handlers

From: Peter <no_email_at_no_email.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 16:46:21 +1000

The documents that I quoted, specifically state that, "without actually stopping the listener" which is different to what you said which is, "Basically a reload is a stop followed by a start".

I wish that the documents were more specific in that they don't state (or I can't find) when the dynamic services will be registered after the reload command is issued - "...listener will be unregistered and subsequently registered again...". I had assumed that this would be straight away but I have found that this is not the case.

With the ever increasing use of dynamic registration, I believe that the documentation is lacking, and could cause downtime, in that it should state that dynamically reliant services could be unavailable for up to a minute at a time (and I have found this to be longer when the listener is experiencing high loads). Instead this is not mentioned at all.

This brings me back to my original question, which is, does the lsnrctl reload command drop dynamic service handlers thus making dynamically registered databases unavailable for a certain period of time (a supposedly maximum period of 1 minute)?