listener - lsnrctl reload drops dynamic service handlers

From: Peter <no_email_at_no_email.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:21:44 +1000

I'm wondering if the lsnrctl reload command is suppose to drop dynamically registered services and then wait for the database to re-register (meaning a possible few minute wait) these with the listener or is this an oracle listener bug on the following system?

Solaris 2.8
Listener version: TNSLSNR for Solaris: Version 9.2.0.1.0 - Production Oracle Database: 8.1.6.3

The reload command documentation states:

RELOAD
Purpose
Use the RELOAD command to reread the listener.ora file. This command enables you to add or change statically configured services without actually stopping the listener.

In addition, the database services, instances, service handlers, and listening endpoints that were dynamically registered with the listener will be unregistered and subsequently registered again.

So, does "...unregistered and subsequently registered again." mean this happens straight away as I'm experiencing delays of up to a few minutes which is causing serious problems that mean some of our websites are inaccessible until the re-registering takes place? On a very busy system, this seems to take longer.

Also, I think that MTS or Shared Server Architecture uses dynamic registration and if this is so then issuing the reload command could cause short periods of database inaccessibility. Received on Wed Mar 12 2003 - 22:21:44 CST