Re: How to start a Stored Procedure directly from Unix shell skript ?

From: Chuckster <chuckycarson_at_networkcloud.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:14:56 -0800

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 16:05:20 +0000, NorwoodThree wrote:
>

>>Theres no way in hell command-line SQL Plus is going away anytime soon.
>>GUIs suck.

> Well, we shall see, shal we not?
>
> HJR
I totally agree. The power of Oracle and UNIX together is greatly benefited by full 100% command line remote administration. (thus much more secure administration) I currently maintain 8 production oracle instances, 9 on solaris and one one windows. Maintenance tasks on the windows database take orders of magnitude longer, mainly because the worthless little track ball is impractical for a power user and all the terminal emulation tools, VNC, dameware, PCanywhere are very insecure and not approved in most installations. Needless to say, moving this database to Solaris is my top priority, however, realistically many months away.

Oracle also got a ton of flack when they went to the gui installer. Yes, there is a command line method of installing 8i or later but not as easy as it was for 7.x and 8.0.x.

I personaly find it poor practice for any production application be dependent upon a gui. In the heat of battle, who wants to dick around and find a display, or configure exceed, or tweak a firewall to let X traffic thourgh, etc.... This just adds an added level of dependency in the event of disaster recovery.

-CC

   http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =----- Received on Wed Mar 12 2003 - 19:14:56 CST