Re: How many ORACLE_HOME values are there supposed to be?

From: Gabriel Gonzalez <no-spam_at_no-spam.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:50:50 -0800

> i got directed to the "concepts" manual earlier. took a look at it.
> a huge chunk of it is basically "Oracle's version of postgres",
> ie, a whole lot of stuff about how oracle operates once it's

That's you first mistake. If you want to make Oracle run, and you want to be proficient at it then:

  1. The fact that Oracle and any other database are alike is irrelevant.
  2. Your decision to skip information because its alike another DB will sink you because there are invariably differences.

> and another thing, is ORACLE_HOME going to be used to set the PATH
> variable? is it just important during the install?

Read the docs. It's important before, during, and after the install.

> seems like there needs to be something that lets me decide these
> questions without trying to tease it out.

Yes, read the docs. Received on Wed Mar 12 2003 - 15:50:50 CST