Re: Dump Max Reached

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:36:27 +0100

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:29:31 -0600, "JustAnotherDBA" <burttemp1REMOVETHIS_at_bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Anyone know of a way to get smon to dump what it is trying to dump into a
>trace file that has reached the max size? Of course, looking for something
>short of shutdown/startup...

If so, you better forget about it.
Frankly, I have *never* seen the smon trace file reach 5M (which is the default max_dump_file_size) within one month, so you must have some really serious problems, which you would better rather address than figthing symptoms.

If you are really audacious you can use the oradebug facility to change the max_dump_file_size to unlimited. Oradebug help shows the available commands you'd typically first need to issue
oradebug setospid <pid of the smon process> oradebug tracefile unlimited

IIRC, however, tracing isn't resumed or with problems.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Wed Mar 12 2003 - 13:36:27 CST