Re: What am I seeing here? (Installment MCLXII)

From: Watson Davis <thepencilneck_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:36:40 -0500

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:32:35 -0600, Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote:

>Platform - Oracle 8.0.6 SE on NT4
>
>When I perform this Query:
>
>select spid,
> to_char(logon_time,'dd-mon-yy hh24:mi:ss') Started,
> s.status,
> s.osuser,
> p.username,
> substr(p.program,1,45) pgm
>from v$process p,
> v$session s
> where p.addr=s.paddr
>order by logon_time;
>
>I get some results I can't explain. The first chunk of sessions is
>easy, the basic background processes:
>
>STATUS OSUSER USERNAME PGM
>-------- -------- -------- -------------
>ACTIVE UNKNOWN UNKNOWN ORACLE80.EXE
>ACTIVE UNKNOWN UNKNOWN ORACLE80.EXE
>ACTIVE UNKNOWN UNKNOWN ORACLE80.EXE
>ACTIVE UNKNOWN UNKNOWN ORACLE80.EXE
>ACTIVE UNKNOWN UNKNOWN ORACLE80.EXE
>ACTIVE UNKNOWN UNKNOWN ORACLE80.EXE
>
>But what is this? (I've cut off the time and spid for brevity, but
>these started two days after database startup. I hope it doesn't line
>wrap . . )
>
>STATUS OSUSER USERNAME PGM
>-------- -------- -------- -------------
>ACTIVE UNKNOWN ORACLE80.EXE (I101)
>ACTIVE UNKNOWN ORACLE80.EXE (I102)
>ACTIVE UNKNOWN ORACLE80.EXE (I103)
>ACTIVE UNKNOWN ORACLE80.EXE (I106)
>ACTIVE UNKNOWN ORACLE80.EXE (I104)
>ACTIVE UNKNOWN ORACLE80.EXE (I105)
>
>Then this bunch, that have start times of today, two days later than
>the last bunch.
>
>STATUS OSUSER USERNAME PGM
>-------- -------- -------- -------------
> ACTIVE ATUSER UNKNOWN ORACLE80.EXE (P001)
> ACTIVE ATUSER UNKNOWN ORACLE80.EXE (P002)
> ACTIVE ATUSER UNKNOWN ORACLE80.EXE (P003)
> ACTIVE ATUSER UNKNOWN ORACLE80.EXE (P004)
> ACTIVE ATUSER UNKNOWN ORACLE80.EXE (P005)
> ACTIVE ATUSER UNKNOWN ORACLE80.EXE (P006)
> ACTIVE ATUSER UNKNOWN ORACLE80.EXE (P007)
>
>What I find puzzling about this is that all of these are executing
>ORACLE80.EXE. I expect that for the background processes, but wht of
>these others, with the qualifier in parentheses? Especially that
>middle group, with no OSUSER value.
>
>BTW, there are some other, obvious and easy to understand user
>connections, running pgms like SQLPLUS, TOAD, a user app, etc.

I'm in Solaris Oracle 7.3.4 and I have 5 background processes that show up with no username* in the v$session table: PMON, DBWR, LGWR, SMON, and RECO. You're probably looking at something similar.

*The osuser shows up as oracle, btw.

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis Received on Wed Mar 12 2003 - 11:36:40 CST