Possible Oracle Bug, Oracle Claims No

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:59:48 -0000

Hi Chuck,

>> ORA-27063: skgfospo: number of bytes read/written is incorrect
>> Additional information: 8192

As you were building indexes, I presume this was an 8K block write operation that Oracle requested. However, when the result of the write was returned, 8192 was not the answer Oracle got. It should have been. (It would be nice if the additional information told us what number Oracle got, and not what it expected - or even better, both !)

>> The datafile in question is a 2GB datafile, however, when I looked at
the file within
>> the OS, it displayed the file size as 400k.

Does Oracle still see it as 2Gb then? If so, then the file was 2 GB at creation time, or has been extended to 2GB at some point since creation. If the OS says that a file you and Oracle *know* is 2GB is actually 400 Kb then you almost certainly have a disc problem.

I'd have to agree that this is not an Oracle problem, more like Oracle finding a problem.

Cheers,
Norman.

PS. I'm only a wannabe SA myself - I do Oracle better than Unix regardless of the sig my company makes me use :o)

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.
mailto:Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk