Re: How to start a Stored Procedure directly from Unix shell skript ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:25:23 +1100

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 19:49:54 +0000, Pete Sharman wrote:

>>> The best practice approach is to create a dbms_job.
>>
>>With the demise of command line SQL+ in a near future version, this
>>might actually be the only option left!!! How the heck are people gonna
>>be able to include Unix scripts into their DB work remains to be seen...
>>  Oh well, I'm sure someone will "re-invent" SQL+ as a J2EE EJB, or some
>>other crap!

> Nuno
>
> You must know more than I do. I haven't seen any reference to command
> line going away, other than in Howard's dreams. :)
>
> Commnad line has got to be there. How else are we ever going to handle
> automated scripts, including backups and so on?
>
> Pete

Easy. "The only supported method of taking backups is RMAN" (statement from Oracle.Com dated December 31st 2008). RMAN is schedulable via Enterprise Manager: no need for cron.

Also easy: we might abolish a command-line SQL Plus, but IIRC there's a slide in the New Features for 9i course material that says "If you can script it, Enterprise Manager can run it". That is, you don't need a command line tool to be able to access the functionality of sheel scripts or batch files (hah!). Both EVENTS and JOBS take scripts and execute them against the database. Specifically, there's a slide that says EM's Jobs functionality can run any OS command.

It's not my dream, actually (more like a nightmare). I think things like iSQLPlus are awful. But just step back a bit and see how things are going: Enterprise Manager actually works quite nicely these days. RMAN ditto. Clearly, a lot of effort has been put into making these tools workable.

Likewise, the database is already self-tuning as far as PGA is concerned, and is practically there as far as the rest of the SGA is concerned. I can't even remember the last time I had to configure DB_BLOCK_LATCHES.

Put two and two together: we have a self-running database which is managed by GUI tools which can interface with O/S scripts. What need is there for a command line utility?? And why don't we just call it SQL Server for neatness's sake????

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Mar 12 2003 - 01:25:23 CST