Re: Data Guard (zero data loss)

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:15:01 +1100

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:17:42 +0800, Timmy Sin wrote:

> Thanks all for the information. I believe that "zero data loss" is required
> in some cases and data guard can achieve this functionally.
>
> But, how about the performance? Will my online response be seriously
> affected (instead of a local disk operation to write the redo information, a
> remote update is required)?

Er, it depends. If you absolutely positively needed zero data loss, you wouldn't go about it by string a bit of Cat5 cable between two el cheap ethernet cards. You'd invest megabucks in a high speed, low latency connection... at which point, the performance hit (which most definitely exists) is beaten into a bloody pulp and slinks off into the corner in shame.

And the sites where no data loss is absolutely essential would be precisely those that *have* a bazillion bucks to spend on their requirements.

Were you mad enough to do Zero Data Loss with nothing but a bit of Cat5 and 2 ethernet cards, you could expect severe performance impacts.

But given a modicum of common sense, you would even think of going down this road unless you had oodles of cash and an infrastructure to match.

Regards
HJR