Re: newbie needs installation help.

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 01:34:16 GMT

gl_at_arlut.utexas.edu (Jay G. Scott) wrote in news:b4lvr3$q9u_at_csdsun1.arlut.utexas.edu:

> Greetings from a newbie.
>
> I'm trying to install Oracle, AND know what I've done once
> I finished. I can install oracle interactively, and I think
> it's okay.
>
> I next have to install the Oracle Application Server. I've done
> this, I think it's okay.
>
> I don't know how to check either one, but I want to take a
> step back and figure out what I've done.
>
> To glean whatever I could, I went out and pillaged the response
> files for a "silent" or non-interactive installation.
>
> Here's what came up--I expect I have too many questions to address,
> so just send me to a FAQ or whatever is appropriate. Oracle's
> web site is too tough for me to wade through right now--maybe the
> answer is there, and I simply don't know it when I read the
> heading.
>
> 1. The value of ORACLE_HOME. The application server wants its
> value to be different from the database, and there's an
> "infrastructure" which needs to be different still. How
> many are there? Can any of them live together? Is it possible
> to "over-separate"?
>
> 2. The value of ORACLE_HOME_NAME. What is this, anyway?
> Why do we need it?
>
> The response files have five places for the value of ORACLE_HOME,
> and ORACLE_HOME_NAME--well, there may be more, but I'm not putting
> in all the pieces. I take it that these five ought to match,
> considering that, during the interactive installation, I only
> get asked once (I think I have that right). Should these match,
> at least up through the Application server? Because some of
> these are for the "infrastructure", which, later on, needs to
> be distinct.
>
> 3. There's a zillion cases where it talks about "SID".
> Also, global data base name, and instance. I'm familiar with
> old databases, where you could pick whatever name you wanted
> for your database. I gather Oracle wants the database to
> be the machine's name? Is that just the "master master"
> database, like postgres? In postgres, you can have several
> databases, with whatever name you want, but the "master master"
> is some fixed name I forget right now....
>
> What are these things, really? I get the feeling there might
> be separate processes for each "non-master" database. Is
> that the instance?
>
> 4. The response files list an "ods" user. That's not mentioned
> in the installation manual. How many users and groups are
> there altogther? What are they used for? Ie, it looks
> like there's a user:group for installation, true? Does it
> need to be distinct from the "master master" DBA user?
>
> 5. What is the Oracle Internet Directory? (OID--I think
> that's what OID stands for.) It's not an LDAP server, is it?
> Do I want it? is it required? I can't ferret that out to
> my satisfaction.
>
> During the interactive installation, I get chances to leave
> out various things, but I don't know what the things are,
> [...]

Push back from the keyboard & slowly turn off the computer since you are suffering from information overload & you seem to have neglected to RTFM. Start reading the Concepts manual. Ignore & avoid 9iAS until after you clearly understand the DB and hot it functions.

HTH & YMMV Received on Tue Mar 11 2003 - 19:34:16 CST