Re: ORA-12560 on NT

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 16:01:58 -0600

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 07:02:35 +1100, "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:37:56 +0200, Tanel Poder wrote:

<snip>>
>Thanks Tanel: I did mention in my original reply to our OP that in the
>event of being too eager to click the Uninstall option, it's time to get
>down and dirty with the registry (although I also mentioned that there are
>service uninstallers out there that are shareware, and which will do at
>least part of the job for you -you still have Oracle stuff in your
>registry after that, but that is frequently not a major drama if you are
>about to re-install very much along the same lines as your first install).
>
>Regards
>HJR

FWIW, I've done several *complete* un-installs of Oracle from NT servers. I've seen a couple of documents on how to wipe Oracle completely off the server. They have several pages of steps, including stopping the db's, stopping the oracle services, running un-install, delete this, delete that, check this, check that. But in the end I've found I can simply forget uninstall and summarize it to:

- stop all the Oracle services
- delete all \oracle\* directories
- delete the HKLM\software\oracle key
- delete the oracle services from

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\.

After that, if somone is really uptight, they can search the entire registry for anything else that has ORA in it, but in practice I've found I can ignore those. A fresh reinstall at this point has never shown any indication that Oracle was ever there.

Now, if one were trying to delete just a single oracle_home from a multi-home system . . .

Wiping it off a desktop client is even easier, because you don't have to deal with the services. Received on Tue Mar 11 2003 - 16:01:58 CST