Re: Oracle on a Dell/Linux platform - any opinions?

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:50:18 +0100

Chuck wrote:

> Richard wrote:
>

>> Frank,
>>
>> Many thanks for your response.
>>
>> I have a very limited knowledge of Linux so I may well be wrong but I
>> thought Oracle was only certified on Red Hat 7.1 and Advanced Server 2.1.
>> Is there a problem running 7.1 on Dell servers?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard
>>
>> "Frank" <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message

>>> Don't - use a certified, or at least tried and proven
>>> combination. RH7.3 would be the latter, RHAS2.1 the
>>> first.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards, Frank van Bortel
>>>

> I would suggest SuSE Linux instead of Red Hat. Oracle has been
> historically much more stable on SuSE and if you talk to any oracle
> developers (as in software engineers) they will unofficially claim the
> same thing. My last company also did extensive research when selecting a
> linux replacement for an SGI based product and found that Oracle on SuSE
> had much better results with large memory implementations. (And this was
> a company designing clinical patient charting systems so a very thorough
> and rigorous testing process was done)
>
> I used to be a big fan of Red Hat but switched to SuSE about 4 years ago
> and it remains my personal choice. I still have to support Red Hat in my
> current enterprise, and it seems every release of Red Hat requires
> 'jerry-rigging' to get oracle properly installed.
>
> SuSE has installed and operated flawlessly on every release I have used.
>
> The hardware should not be a problem, although I have heard that the Red
> Hat installation kernel-panics on some Dell poweredge servers.
>
> Just my 2 cents.
>
> -CC

> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers
> =-----

Agreed - SuSE was the first to be certified with 9i. And has an extensive oracle help site, with about every install problem lined out.

But the OP was just getting opinions, and I (wrongfully) assumed OP would be running production (what else use a PowerEdge for?!?)

One last tip: some companies (amongst them, Dell) sell pre-configured Oracle boxes, with RH. No experience with that; I want to do it myself. But then again, I like a command prompt. I'm a dinosaur.

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel