Re: INITRANS and MAXTRANS are confusing me?

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_@peldik.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 23:07:42 +0200

Howard,

Was this "process ID" just a simplification you used, for making the idea more understandable?

> Basically, your process ID (unique to your session) is stored in the
> transaction slot. The row piece at the start of each row then stores the
> transaction slot number. Now I have a link from a row, back to who
> precisely has it locked.

Because per Oracle terminology, I'd say no process or session ID's are stored in data nor rbs blocks. It's more like transaction identifiers which just identify a transaction slot number in a rollback segment (+ sequence number), also undo block addresses in ITLs, which point to the last undo block for a transaction in a given block. In row header, there's a one byte pointer to a ITL entry in the same block.

So, afrter a crash, theres no information available, whith process or session was responsible for a change, we only know transaction IDs, which translate to bunch of undo blocks in right order - an undo chain.

Either you were simplifying a lot, or I got something wrong from your post.

Thanks,
Tanel. Received on Tue Mar 11 2003 - 15:07:42 CST