INITRANS and MAXTRANS are confusing me?

From: Wes Gamble <w.gamble_at_pentasafe.com>
Date: 11 Mar 2003 11:59:34 -0800

Thanks for any help in advance.

I just learned about INITRANS and MAXTRANS and what their purpose is. Why does information about the individual transactions have to be stored in data blocks to achieve locking? Why can't you just keep track of the number of transactions which are accessing data in the block in order to manage locking? Do individual transactions have to be included in the block in order to satisfy Oracle's read consistency model?

If it helps to understand my confusion, I am used to the Informix world where lock data was centrally managed, not with the data.

Pointers to relevant references are welcomed.

Thanks,
Wes Gamble Received on Tue Mar 11 2003 - 13:59:34 CST