Re: ORA-12560 on NT

From: Leutwein <leutwein_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 15:38:50 +0200

Hi Howard.
Thanks for the detailed reply.
In step 1 you mentioned I must reconfigure the NET8. When I want to reconfigure the service name I get the following error :

Connecting...ORA-12514: TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect descriptor
The test did not succeed.

Some of the information you provided may be incorrect. Press Back to review the information provided for net service name, or Change Login to change username.

A question : which services must I remove first before I uninstall?

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:pan.2003.03.11.13.02.32.196563_at_yahoo.com.au...
> On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:46:59 +0200, Leutwein wrote:
>
> > Hi Howard
> >
> > Apology gladly accepted.
> >
> > To come back to the problem :
> >
> > 1. My ORA_SID is set to PLSExtProc
> > This seems to be the standard name.
>
> Oh no, no, no. That's the standard name for allowing a database to access
> external procedures (C libraries, DLLs that sort of thing). This should
> most definitely not be your database name.
>
> You need to fire up the Netwrok Configuration Assistant (or the Manager,
> but that supposes you know exactly what you're doing. The assistant uses a
> Wizard interface) and set up (1) your Listener if you haven;t already done
> so. Call it Listener, listening on Port 1521. Accept all defaults. Then
> (2) set up your naming services: right now, you probably want Local
(meaning
> you'll be using a tnsnames.ora). And (3) start specifying your service
> names. Assuming, of course, you've already created a database either as
> part of the install or afterwards using the Database Configuration
> Assistant.
>

> > 2. I am logged on as a domain admin
> >

> Hmmm. Trouble brewing. It should work, but often doesn't. The Oracle
> install should be done as a local administrator, and so should all
> subsequent setup work, such as I described above.
>
> > 3. SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES is set to (NTS) , I checked the other
SAP
> > servers
> > and theirs is also the same.
>
> Fair enough. It means that you can connect remotely to the database and
> still use Windows native authentication mechanisms to make privileged user
> connections. See how you go, but I got rid of it pretty quickly (for some
> reason, it seemed to slow down privileged user connections enormously).
>

> > 4.The Listener service is started.
> >
> > Just a question : when I unintsall Oracle, the Listener service remains.
> > How can I remove it?
>
> welcome to the Oracle uninstaller, which brings a whole new meaning to the
> word 'uninstall'. All sorts of detritus will be left behind after an
> install. So *before* you uninstall Oracle, use ORADIM from the command
> line to remove any services you don't want hanging around.
>
> The Database Configuration Assistant will merrily remove database services
> for you as part of its 'delete database' option. But others may need the
> ORADIM treatment (the short story is ORADIM -DELETE -SRVC etc etc.... but
> do an oradim /? at the command prompt to get the full whack syntax).
>
> If you have done what we've all done, and uninstalled Oracle expecting it
> to tidy up properly, then there are tools in the NT Administration Pack
> (or whatever it's called) which can delete services. Or do a Google search
> for Service removers (there are some quite nice freebies out there). Or
> open up regedit and start hacking your way through the registry.
>
> Good uninstall, isn't it??!
>
> Let me know how you get on, and if you get stuck, drop me a mail. Or
> three.
>
> Regards
> HJR
>

> > Kind Regards
> >
> > Chris
> >

> > "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> >> You did. Mea Culpa. What does that tell you?
> >>
> >> 1. I am stupid
> >> 2. I look at in excess of 100 posts a day on average, and titles don't
> >> register much.
> >> 3. Two letters in a title don't make an impression
> >>
> >> So, first I fulsomely apologise. But second I would say that I'm not
alone
> >> in seeing 'ORA-SOMENUMBER' in the title, and ignoring two small letters
> >> tucked at the end of it.
> >>
> >> Better to stick it in the body of the post, I think.
> >>
> >> Having said that, this error occurs on NT when (1) the Oracle_sid
> >> environment variable has not been set (though usually one expects it to
be
> >> set via the registry) (2) you're not a member of the ORA_DBA group but
are
> >> attempting to use O/S authentication; (3) you've got
> >> SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES set to (NTS) is your sqlnet.ora or (4)
your