Re: Best way to move data beween servers

From: PdV <piet.de.visser_at_cmg.com>
Date: 11 Mar 2003 02:40:28 -0800

"QT" <qtockar_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<b4hp1g$ito$1_at_nnrp01.ops.uunet.co.za>...
> Hi All
>
> I need to move data from a Compaq Server to a Sun Server. The amount of data
> is 0.5 terrabytes. This will be on Oracle 817. What is a good place to start
> on how to do this and what would be the best way with the least downtime?
>

> TIA
>
> QT

QT, Group,

Couldn't resist :
There is another truly (w)hacky way to do it when storage and bandwith are limited
(have only done this once, way back in the nineties, both systems were hp-ux).

On source server and source db :
prepare an exp script to export into a pipe (pipe1), hang a compress-uitility behind the pipe, compress into another pipe (pipe2),
hang an ftp-session behind the 2nd pipe, and send the 2nd pipe straight to your target server.

On target system :
prepare a pipe (pipe3) to receive the result of the ftp-session, hang an uncompress utility behind pipe3, uncompress into another pipe : pipe4,
hang an imp session behind pipe4, and import into target db.

Advantages :

Disadvantages:

Other remarks:

Luck,

Pdv
Oracle DBA,
Oracle Dino. Received on Tue Mar 11 2003 - 04:40:28 CST