Re: A proper FAQ - Wish fulfillment

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:30:59 -0000

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:pan.2003.03.12.22.51.23.420905_at_yahoo.com.au...
> Can I ask a cultural question??
>
> What does "my bad" actually mean?? Is it some Americanism of which I was
> unaware? Meaning (one presumes) "My mistake"? And if you mean "my
> mistake", why use "my bad", which uses an adjective when the rest of the
> English-speaking peoples of the world would use a noun??

I suppose it *could* be an Americanism, but I have never heard any American use it in speech, or seen it in print (and at a novel every couple of days or so I get through a lot of writing American and otherwise). It seems to be one of those curious constructions from email/the net where it seems to crop up frequently.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA