Remote startup

From: vlad <bulk_at_sfatcu.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 07:00:32 GMT

Hello.

I'm using Oracle 9.2 on Windows 2000. I'm trying to start the database remotely. However, I'm finding that I am not able to connect to a database that's not at least mounted. Here's some output from a console on the remote computer:

SQL> connect vlad/pass_at_vlad01 as sysdba
Connected.
SQL> shutdown immediate
Database closed.
Database dismounted.
ORACLE instance shut down.
SQL> connect vlad/pass_at_vlad01 as sysdba
ERROR:
ORA-12514: TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect descriptor
Warning: You are no longer connected to ORACLE. SQL> Once I shut it down, I'm not able to connect any more. I have to go the database server, and do this:

SQL> connect vlad/pass as sysdba
Connected to an idle instance.
SQL> startup mount
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area       72,424,008 bytes
Fixed Size                        453,192 bytes
Variable Size                  50,331,648 bytes
Database Buffers               20,971,520 bytes
Redo Buffers                      667,648 bytes
Database mounted.
SQL> Only now (after mounting the database) can I connect remotely: SQL> connect vlad/pass_at_vlad01 as sysdba
Connected.
SQL> Is that the appropiate behavior? Seems like a bummer not to be able to start the database remotely. After all, I can shut it down.

vlad Received on Tue Mar 11 2003 - 01:00:32 CST