Re: Oracle2PostgreSQL Migration with PL/pgSQL

From: Guido Stepken <stepken_at_little-idiot.de>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 00:11:34 +0100

Describing a certain bug always requires mentioning the exact version of   software and code.
I have heard of mysql 3.22+ crashing, seen oracle 8i and 9i crashing on ibm aix with raid hardware (ibms fault). There is always a way to crash any database, IMHO.
Nevertheless there are installations with > 1-2 Terabyte out there, based on oracle as well as on postgreSQL 7.1+, sapdb, firebird (former interbase...). Postgresql IMHO is the only free database, which is suited to replace oracle, due to its pl/SQL compatibility. Being delivered with source makes it much easier to debug and correct bugs in case of a crash.

tnx to all, who have sent code, hints, experiences to my adress at stepken @ little-idiot.de ....

i am quite optimistic, that the migration handbook will soon do very serious harm to oracle's sales volumes......my mysql handbook (sorry, only in german, still, published in 1999) did it's purpose very well.....mysql is #1 in germany now for small databases.....

Oracle changed its sales policy.....resellers can offer oracle for about 1.600-1.800 Euros/US$ each......what a price reduction, compared to cpu licenses.....the only condition is, that oracle must be sold together with a application....

regards, Guido Stepken