Re: Oracle2PostgreSQL Migration with PL/pgSQL

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:35:04 -0000

Couple of comments interspersed
"Justin Clift" <justin_at_postgresql.org> wrote in message news:3E6C5D9C.1090605_at_postgresql.org...
> As always, it's best to correctly choose the product to suit the need.
> There are places where PostgreSQL is faster and/or scales better on a
> single server, and there are instead places where PITR is needed thus
> PostgreSQL isn't yet an option.

I'd say that in a commercial environment PITR is pretty much a core feature. Especially if your target audience is people accessing data from outside the enterprise where asking them to rekey is a non-starter.

> Not sure how Oracle's marketing teams are going to work against a
> product based on a no-profit-needed-in-order-to-thrive business model
> though. Pretty sure we're going to find out though in the next few years.

A no-profit-needed-in-order-to-thrive is not a business model. You need the cash from somewhere. I do agree that the open source movement represents a hell of a challenge to the existing software world order. It won't make good on that challenge without people making money from it. That is of course a great opportunity, but it is also an opportunity for the like of IBM,Oracle (who have both seen it) and another vendor who has a somewhat different attitude. I think that the battle will in fact be between the closed source=high cost of entry, lower cost of exploitation side and the open source=high cost of maintenance/exploitation side. we will see.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA