Re: Data Guard (zero data loss)

From: PdV <piet.de.visser_at_cmg.com>
Date: 10 Mar 2003 03:54:42 -0800

"Paul Brewer" <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk> wrote in message news:<3e6bb9a2$1_1_at_mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com>...
> "Timmy Sin" <tswsin_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Does anyone have experience on the zero data loss feature with Data Guard
> > 9i? It states that modification would be committed only when the redo
> > information has been at least transferred to one of the standby databases.
> > Is this feature practical in real life? How about if the primary and
> standby
> > databases are connected by a T1 WAN link?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Timmy
> >
> Surely this requires no more than common sense? The technical mechanism is
> irrelevant; if one is going to guarantee no data loss, then there has to be
> a successful save in two places before the transaction is committed.
>
> Depending on the degree of resilience and recoverability required, one
> simply evaluates the alternatives available; and then makes a decision.
>
> Regards,
> Paul

Tim, Group,

This question has come across my desk at least 5 times this month (is it the season ?).

May I join Tim in asking :
Does anyone have REAL experience (e.g. serious test or production) with DataGuard and ZERO (or very-near-zero) loss of data ?

Did you have the absolute NEED to ?
If-so, was it worth it ?

By lack of real references, I keep recommending to just send (ftp) the arc-logs
to a safe location, and apply them regularly, or ad-hoc.

If you compress (gzip) your arcs before sending, it also consumes a lot less network capacity, but this requires the balls to trust the compression software
and the script that does the g(un)zip.

Regards,

PdV
Oracle DBA Received on Mon Mar 10 2003 - 05:54:42 CST