Re: Best way to move data beween servers

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_@peldik.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 12:52:14 +0200

Hi!

Where is your data on Compaq. On Oracle? Which version of Oracle? Do you have SAN environment?
Are the servers in the same LAN?
Do you have read-only data in old system? Do you have partitions in old system?

Easy way is to gowith:

  1. exp with rows=n, then
  2. imp the structure to new db
  3. drop indexes, disable constraints.
  4. insert /*+ APPEND */ into tab as select * from tab_at_dblink_old_db (possibly also PARALLEL) for all (big) tables
  5. enable constraints novalidate
  6. rebuild indexes

This is quite general level instruction, if you provide us more information, for example how long downtime is tolerated etc, we coult help you more.

For very short downtimes, it'd be possible to use even incremental migration (don't know the correct term), to transport all the data at first, then apply only changes to original data during downtime.

Tanel.