Re: Oracle versus MS Sqlserver 2000: Technical Comparison of the Features in the two databases

From: Telemachus <telemachus_at_ulysseswillreturn.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:49:46 -0000

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:pan.2003.03.10.08.59.37.277967_at_yahoo.com.au...

> Can I ask what the point of this bit of anti-MS bashing is? The audience
> in this group presumably has already bought into the Oracle model, so it
> seems to be rather a waste of time.
>
> As it happens, if you are a Windows shop, I think you would seriously want
> to question any proposal to install anything other than SQL Server. The
> Windows architecture plays merry havoc with Oracle performance, but suits
> SQl Server rather nicely.

Howard, I use Win2K w/9202 for lots of small data marts and it blasts along - no OLTP and mostly read-only stuff - but the performance throats are where I want them - in the disk or in the cpu doing hash joins...

Please no flame war on this - all I'm saying is with my config I've no complaints Received on Mon Mar 10 2003 - 04:49:46 CST