Re: Veritas Backup Exec Oracle privileges

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 Mar 2003 21:33:24 -0800

"Terry Dykstra" <dontreply_tddykstra_at_forestoil.ca> wrote in message news:<Q0M9a.976$Ty5.179552_at_news0.telusplanet.net>...
> We're implementing the Oracle Agent for BackupExec. Veritas suggest the
> following 2 roles for the backup userid:
> dba, aq_administrator_role.
> I don't want to use the DBA role, so I'm trying to determine what roles to
> use instead, e.g. backup any table,become user. Should I be granting all
> the 'ANY ...' roles? I'm open to suggestions.

Terry,

Here is what the Veritas NT Backup Oracle Agent will attempt to do:

  1. obtain a list of tablespaces and their respective datafiles
  2. put all of the tablespaces into backup mode.
  3. backup each datafile to tape
  4. take each tablespace out of backup mode
  5. create a backup controlfile

This is from memory, back from an Oracle 8.1.6 database on NT4. Of course, putting all tablespaces into backup mode was brain dead at best.
you could examine the alert log to determine at what time such tasks are executed, and you could also put in place a logon_trigger to trace the session that the agent uses.

In order to perform these tasks, the user account would need to be able to:

  1. list the tablespaces and datafiles
  2. alter database (put tablespaces into backup mode, create backup controlfile)

alter database, select catalog role and create session should be sufficient, but you'll have to check it out for yourself.

If you also were going to have the backup software shutdown any instance prior to performing a cold backup, you would most likely want it to be able to connect to the instance and perform a switch logfile/shutdown abort/startup restrict/shutdown to ensure a clean shutdown prior to the cold backup.

Paul Received on Sun Mar 09 2003 - 23:33:24 CST