Re: Getting sysdate across a DB link

From: John Russell <netnews5_at_johnrussell.mailshell.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 02:13:27 GMT

On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 10:48:11 -0800, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:
>If you haven't done this before, and I'm sure you have:
>
>SELECT * FROM dual;
>
>What you suggest is not different from saying:
>
>SELECT 'ABC' FROM dual_at_other_server.

I use database links for reporting (bringing in data from multiple sources, and doing UNION, INTERSECT, or MINUS on it). Just recently started using them for some interactive queries, but then I switched from db links to granting permissions and using fully qualified names for procedures (since this was running in different schemas in the same instance). That technique seems to involve less overhead.

I'm curious what other scenarios people are using database links for, and how. (E.g. selecting from table_at_other_server vs. calling procedure_at_other_server.)

John Received on Sun Mar 09 2003 - 20:13:27 CST