Re: cant connect to database after developer suite install

From: Ryan <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 11:25:34 GMT

please see below...

"Anton Buijs" <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl> wrote in message news:3e6b175d$0$49111$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl...
> If you installed it according the rules, you must have 2 Oracle homes now.
> Check the registry key \\HKLM\Software\Oracle. Most likely HOME0 is the 9i
> server EE home and HOME1 is the Developer home.
>
> You must keep in mind which home to use with everything you do.
> So far I have always noticed that all installed Oracle programs are aware
> about which home to use. So if you start sqlplus from the 9i installed
> shortcut, it must work and use the 9i home. If you start sqlplus from the
> shortcut installed by Developer the developer home will be used.
> You will have to tell non-oracle tools like TOAD what oracle home to use
> (and it looks to me TOAD ignores the TNS_ADMIN registry key).
>
> Important to know is that Developer is still build on the V8.0 Required
> Support files, and therefore uses V8.0 libraries and SQL*Net.
>
> Less easy to manage is the sqlnet configuration. You have to
configurations:
> 1. V9.2 based in <9ihome>\network\admin
> 2. V8.0 based in <developerhome>\net80\admin
> Which is to be used then depends on the selected Oracle home. The Oracle
> Home selector lets you choose the default. And it looks like you are
mixing
> V8.0 and V9.2 syntax (V8.0 does not recognize the encryption parameters, I
> doubt you need them).
>
> Personally I am in favour of using 1 configuration and set it up as
follows.
> With 9i there is an admin directory where the database administration
files
> are stored, something like
> C:\oracle\admin\ORCL\bdump, udump, pfile
> I would create C:\oracle\admin\network\etc and store sqlnet.ora,
> tnsnames.ora and listener.ora there
> Direct log- and trace files to C:\oracle\admin\network\log, trc.
> Create a new registry string key in both the HOME0 and HOME1 registry
keys:
> TNS_ADMIN=C:\oracle\admin\network\etc
> Now both Oracle homes will use the same sqlnet configuration files.
>
> It's obvious you will have to work "client/server" on your host because of
> the 2 oracle homes.
> So you must start the 9i database and a listener from the 9i home. When
you
> start Developer it must be able to resolve the service name from the
connect
> string, reading it's tnsnames.ora.
> If you want to make that service name default, create the registry key
LOCAL
> in the Developer home and set it to the service name you use.
The rest of the stuff is done. What do you mean by:

If you want to make that service name default, create the registry key LOCAL
> in the Developer home and set it to the service name you use.

string = LOCAL
value = instance name of the database?

Also, when I take out this value from my sqlnet.ora

SQLNET.ENCRYPTION_CLIENT = requested

I get:

ORA-01034: Oracle Not available
ORA-27101: Shared Memory Realm not avaible

Now the service is started. I did not change any of my init.ora parameters from the default database set up on install.

anyone know what is going on?