Re: cant connect to database after developer suite install

From: Anton Buijs <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 11:28:35 +0100

If you installed it according the rules, you must have 2 Oracle homes now. Check the registry key \\HKLM\Software\Oracle. Most likely HOME0 is the 9i server EE home and HOME1 is the Developer home.

You must keep in mind which home to use with everything you do. So far I have always noticed that all installed Oracle programs are aware about which home to use. So if you start sqlplus from the 9i installed shortcut, it must work and use the 9i home. If you start sqlplus from the shortcut installed by Developer the developer home will be used. You will have to tell non-oracle tools like TOAD what oracle home to use (and it looks to me TOAD ignores the TNS_ADMIN registry key).

Important to know is that Developer is still build on the V8.0 Required Support files, and therefore uses V8.0 libraries and SQL*Net.

Less easy to manage is the sqlnet configuration. You have to configurations: 1. V9.2 based in <9ihome>\network\admin
2. V8.0 based in <developerhome>\net80\admin Which is to be used then depends on the selected Oracle home. The Oracle Home selector lets you choose the default. And it looks like you are mixing V8.0 and V9.2 syntax (V8.0 does not recognize the encryption parameters, I doubt you need them).

Personally I am in favour of using 1 configuration and set it up as follows. With 9i there is an admin directory where the database administration files are stored, something like
C:\oracle\admin\ORCL\bdump, udump, pfile I would create C:\oracle\admin\network\etc and store sqlnet.ora, tnsnames.ora and listener.ora there
Direct log- and trace files to C:\oracle\admin\network\log, trc. Create a new registry string key in both the HOME0 and HOME1 registry keys:

   TNS_ADMIN=C:\oracle\admin\network\etc Now both Oracle homes will use the same sqlnet configuration files.

It's obvious you will have to work "client/server" on your host because of the 2 oracle homes.
So you must start the 9i database and a listener from the 9i home. When you start Developer it must be able to resolve the service name from the connect string, reading it's tnsnames.ora.
If you want to make that service name default, create the registry key LOCAL in the Developer home and set it to the service name you use.

Ryan <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> schreef in berichtnieuws dqwaa.168229$4F3.10697150_at_news2.east.cox.net...