Re: Oracle2PostgreSQL Migration with PL/pgSQL

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 14:40:17 -0800

Guido Stepken wrote:

> Hi, out there !
>
> I am writing on a Oracle to PostgreSQL migration handbook.
>
> Seems, that PostgreSQL 7.4 (still beta) works quite fine in emulating
> pl/SQL language. Clustering, MVCC (Multi Versioning Concurrency
> Control), hot backup ... large databases (> 1 Tera), Query
> caching/hashing, server side scripting with pl/pgSQL emulation seems to
> work now. Very powerful RAD tools exist for postgresql. Oracle tools can
> be used for development, due to compatibility.
>
> PostgreSQL IMHO more and more becomes a Oracle killer. Worth, writing a
> small book about it ;-)
>
> I am still seeking small documentation / experiences, perhaps pl/SQL ->
> pl/pgSQL code for comparisons, benchmarks (yes, i know, difficult to
> interpret), experiences with toolkits (RAD, UML ...)....code should be
> unter a free license for being published, if possible.......
>
> any hints welcome
>
> tnx in advance, Guido Stepken (mailto:stepken @ little - idiot.de)

I love this from the PostgreSQL web site:

"Multi-version concurrency control(MVCC)

This removes our old table-level locking, and replaces it with a locking system that is superior to most commercial database systems. In a traditional system, each row that is modified is locked until committed, preventing reads by other users. MVCC uses the natural multi-version nature of PostgreSQL to allow readers to continue reading consistent data during writer activity. Writers continue to use the compact pg_log transaction system. This is all performed without having to allocate a lock for every row like traditional database systems. So, basically, we no longer are restricted by simple table-level locking; we have something better than row-level locking."

Apparently copying the design of the Oracle counts as doing something not done by "traditional" database systems. Nothing like marketing folks to lack in integrity. If Oracle isn't a "traditional" database system ... I'd like to know what is.

The day PostgreSQL and Oracle killer? I'd check the label on the medication. ;-)

Not that it is a bad product. But anytime they get in Larry or Bill's way ... they'll do to them what was done to Fox and Informix.

Daniel Morgan Received on Sat Mar 08 2003 - 16:40:17 CST