Re: Where To Find INIT.ORA?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 15:55:57 -0800

Phil Hoggins wrote:

> I'm a little rusty these days but it starts up withh an init<SID>.ora
> found in the ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory unless a pfile is explicently
> specified at startup.
>
> not 100% sure but I think if you query the V$PARAMETERS table one of the
> entries is for pfile
>
> Phil
>
> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> > On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 21:50:07 +0000, Carl Sawyer wrote:
> >

> >>Hi All,
> >>
> >>Does 8i offer a way to query the running instance for the location of
> >>the INIT.ORA file that was used to start the instance? I searched the
> >>Google archives and found one question (from 2000) to this effect but
> >>no one seemed to know.
> >>
> >>Any Ideas?
> >>
> >>Thanks Already!
> >>Carl S.
> >

> > Short answer: no.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
On a UNIX machine and provided the DBA used the default. But not true under Windows and definitely not true with the default installation of 9.2 under Windows.

Howard's original answer is correct. It is a good place to start .... but hardly definitive.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Mar 07 2003 - 17:55:57 CST