Re: logical fragmentaion?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 06:41:38 +1100

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 08:46:18 +0000, Rachel Wilson wrote:

> From earlier discussions about how objects aren't physically
> contigeous on a disk I was wondering why we as DBAs are concerned with
> fragmentaion of tablespaces. If the blocks on the disk are all over
> the place, isn't the fragmentation merely logical?

Yup. And we worry about it because of its definition: 'plenty of free space, but none of it in chunks large enough for anything to use'. Therefore, it's a waste of space, and could cause an out-of-space error for a table that needs to extend, despite there being plenty of free space it ought to be able to make use of.

Personally, having shares in Seagate, I have no objection to fragmentation at all. Your hardware budget might have concerns, however!

PS. We don't now worry about fragmentation at all, of course, because we're all switching to locally managed tablespaces.

Regards
HJR Received on Fri Mar 07 2003 - 13:41:38 CST