Re: Archive logs? help?

From: Sigrid Ehrenreich <Sigrid.Ehrenreich_at_carus-it.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 19:59:02 +0100

No, please do several log switches (alter database archive log current) after backing up your datafiles and before backing up the archivelogs (and controlfiles, too!).

I had the case, that the database was backuped online and the archivelogs immediately afterwards.
The next day the machine was lost and we had to restore the database from our backup. We then found out, that the redo information that was written during the online backup was still in the online redo logs and not in the archivelogs. But the redo logs were lost. So after restoring the backup, the server was still asking for the SCN in the redo log that was lost.

We solved this problem by restoring the backup from the night before and rolling forward with the archivelogs of this night, just to the point before we had made that unrestorable backup.

Yours Sigrid