Re: Another curiosity . . .

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 09:37:46 -0600

On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 17:46:56 -0800, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:

>Ed Stevens wrote:
>
>> Oracle 8.1.7
>>
>> Check this short session transcript. Why can I select from DBA_VIEWS,
>> but not DBA_TAB_MODIFICATIONS?

<snip>>
>How about because you were granted SELECT on that data dictionary view?
>
>Or how about because there is no public synonym for this view so you must
>specify the schema owner ...
>SYS.DBA_TAB_MODIFICATIONS.
>
>Daniel Morgan

Mea culpa. I assumed (yes, yes, I know, I know . . "assume" spells . . . ) that all of the DBA_* views had public synonyms. It just never occurred to me that some may not. To my shame, if these had been user defined objects I wouldn't have tought twice abuot digging in an locating the answer myself. But because it was Oracle dictionary objects . . . I just didn't think twice.

Of course, like Medussa, one answer always raises two more questions . . .

So what's the rational for Oracle creating some DBA_* (and ALL_* and USER_*) views without creating public synonyms for them?

Well, OK, only one addtional question . . . for now! ;-)

"They told me not to give up the day job. Problem is, this *is* the day job." - Anon. Received on Fri Mar 07 2003 - 09:37:46 CST