Volume Manager use with RAC for Linux?

From: wangbin <wangbin_at_start.com.au>
Date: 6 Mar 2003 19:14:14 -0800

Hi

I set up RAC 9.2 on RedHat AS2.1 on pure disks by following
"Step-By-Step Installation of RAC on Linux". It works.

According to the following paragraph, it recommends LVM for flexibility.
"1.2 Installing the Shared Disk Subsystem
... Using LVM (Logical Volume Manager) is very useful to make the management of raw devices more flexible." However,otn.oracle.com/tech/linux/pdf/lvm_md_comparison.pdf indicates that neither LVM nor RAID can be recommended for use with RAC for Linux. Then, I find that by definition "VERITAS Cluster Volume Manager" should support it. (At least, it works for solaris.) (http://eval.veritas.com/downloads/pro/db_edition/veritas_dbe_ac_35_whitepaper.pdf)

My concern is I haven't seen anyone use it with RAC for Linux in user group, and the document is very limited. If I ask veritas, I'm sure that their suggestion will be "VERITAS Database Edition/Advanced Cluster for RAC", which means heaps of money.

My questios are
Which Volume Manager is cerified with RAC for Linux? Who has used them?

Thanks,
WBLXX Received on Thu Mar 06 2003 - 21:14:14 CST