Re: SQL Statement Shutdown

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 6 Mar 2003 16:25:30 -0800

Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:<3E650C7E.8090309_at_netscape.net>...

> Have never seen trouble with the good ole' unix scripts that do:
>
> shutdown abort
> startup restrict
> shutdown
>
> just before the offline backup...
> the shutdown abort will just very effectievly kill off
> any user sessions of people who "forget" to log off
> from their applications, that do not have time-outs set
> in sql*net, etc, etc.

My major complaint is that HJR did not say to do the second startup and shutdown. He was quite explicit that the abort was sufficient.

And I have seen trouble with such unix scripts. Every time I have I've wound up having to write a unix routine to run around and kill off processes so I can shutdown in the script. Since I have to do that anyway, abort becomes unnecessary. If ipcrm is necessary because of the abort, you mayn't come up again (in some SGA/memory combinations, it might take a couple of cycles, which can be really confusing if you don't think to check it...). So I now I write the kill script as a matter of course so I don't have to come in one random morning to a bunch of very upset users.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"You loved steak and lobster an hour ago, how come you don't want it