Re: Oracle Issue Report

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 06:13:31 +1100

On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 08:33:09 +0000, DA Morgan wrote:

> "Howard J. Rogers" wrote:

>> > It didn't work until I specified the initSID.ora.
>> >
>> > What is interesting, and confirmed by Oracle support staff, is that in
>> > almost every document it say something like "use the spfile not the
>> > pfile". This is an exception. Pfile truly means the pfile.
>>
>> Personally, I think anyone who is using the spfile when they haven't got a
>> 32-node RAC to manage wants their head examined. I wouldn't touch it with
>> a barge pole, and this just confirms it.
>>
>> Regards
>> HJR

> Because they are paid to teach students?

;-) I know what you mean!

> Seriously ... I added it to the curriculum because someone coming from an 8i
> or earlier background thinks ALTER SYSTEM is temporary and needs to know what
> to do when they find themselves in an environment where it isn't.

Agreed. That's another beef I have with it. Alter system has meant the same thing for ages: "Lifetime of the instance only". Suddenly, it doesn't.

> The thing I dislike most about the SPFILE is that there seems to be no way to
> know which PFILE was used to generate the SPFILE. And this has caused me to
> waste more than a few hours. There should be some way to go from the SPFILE
> back to the PFILE including the PFILE's path.

Good idea, actually. I'd also like the create spfile command to delete the source init.ora. I've spent a good 40 minutes editing an init.ora, to no effect (and posts here indicate I'm not the only one) because an spfile is in place.

Regards
HJR