Re: char set conversion

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 6 Mar 2003 09:05:20 -0800

In article <b4726v$fvd$1_at_news.mch.sbs.de>, "Stephan says...

>Hi,
>we we required to change the char set of or database (8.1.7.4, solaris
>64bit) from we8iso8859p15 to we8mswin1252 using the following command
>sequence:
>STARTUP MOUNT;
>ALTER SYSTEM ENABLE RESTRICTED SESSION;
>ALTER SYSTEM SET JOB_QUEUE_PROCESSES=0;
>ALTER SYSTEM SET AQ_TM_PROCESSES=0;
>ALTER DATABASE OPEN;
>alter database uni character set INTERNAL_USE WE8MSWIN1252;
>alter database uni national character set INTERNAL_USE WE8MSWIN1252;
>
>I'm not happy with this for we8mswin1252 in no real superset (in oracle's
>terminology) of we8iso8859p15. I ran the csscan utility and it complained
>about a lot of data entries. I checked some of them, but the problems are
>special chars, which are wrong anyway.
>
>Did somebody use the above command sequence? Any experiences?
>I looked for the code table of both char sets, but didn't find one. Where
>can I find them?
>
>TIA
>Stephan Bressler

I'm not a character set expert, so I can't comment on most of that, but one comment I would make is do you think the database is still in RESTRICTED SESSION mode for the last two commands? IIRC, it's not because you haven't specified that with the OPEN command as well. The first ALTER SYSTEM command where you enable RESTRICTED SESSION is really not doing anything since the database is only mounted at that stage anyway.

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Thu Mar 06 2003 - 11:05:20 CST