Re: oralce 9i net config

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 17:28:42 GMT

czhu_at_worldnet.att.net said...
> Really it is very simple:
> I set it up in the net configuration with a regular name and default
> port (1521). Then try to use the same info to load SQL*Plus .
>
> or while I am in sql, trying to use:
>
> connect name/password_at_service_name
>
> then got an error:
>
> ORA-12154 TNS: could not resolve service name.
>
> Thanks again for any help.
>
> On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 08:38:47 -0800, DA Morgan
> <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:
>
> >caobin zhu wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am trying to connect from 9i to 8 via sql applet. I tested from
> >> within net configuration and net manager and both ok. But just can not
> >> connect from sql. Any advise?
> >> Thank a lot.
> >> caobin
> >
> >Post code and full error messages. No one here can look over your
> >shoulder.
> >
> >Daniel Morgan

Couple of questions:

  1. Do you have multiple oracle homes from installing multiple products? If so, make sure you use only one set of network config files.
  2. Do you have a default domain specified in your sqlnet.ora file? If so, comment it out and try again.
  3. Did you look at your tnsnames.ora file to make sure it looks correct. Sometimes questions in the GUI tools can be confusing and a visual check of the files it generates can point out misunderstanding ... like is the service_name entry correct?
  4. Can you ping <host> and tnsping <service_name>?
  5. Are there any firewalls between you and the database? If so, check metalink for workarounds. -- /Karsten DBA > retired > DBA